10242017Headline:

Dallas, Texas

HomeTexasDallas

Email RLF Staff RLF Staff on LinkedIn RLF Staff on Twitter RLF Staff on Facebook
RLF Staff
RLF Staff
Contributor •

Coleman Sued for Carbon Monoxide Related Deaths – Dangerous Heaters

Comments Off

Two lawsuits were filed against Coleman stating their PowerMate 5045 propane heater was responsible for two carbon-monoxide-related deaths. Plaintiffs claim the model has a defect that “produces deadly levels of carbon monoxide.” Coleman is one of the most popular brands of outdoor and camping equipment.

Last month in federal court, two lawsuits were filed against Coleman stating their PowerMate 5045 propane heater was responsible for two carbon-monoxide-related deaths. Plaintiffs claim the model has a defect that “produces deadly levels of carbon monoxide.” Coleman is one of the most popular brands of outdoor and camping equipment.

One suit was filed on behalf of a 5-year-old who’s parents and sister died of carbon monoxide poisoning in their sleep last May. The other was filed by a woman who lost her husband and father to CO poisoning while on a hunting trip in September. In both cases the Coleman PowerMate 5045 was being used.

In a small town in Washington, five people died from CO poisoning last year and had used a Coleman heater. Families victims have sent a letter to the Consumer Safety Protection Commission asking for a mandatory recall of the products.

Coleman has discontinued production of the PowerMate 5045, but there are about 1 million, or similarly designed ones, still in use.

Coleman has reached a settlement in a lawsuit filed on behalf of two victims from Packwood, Washington. The terms of the settlement are not yet known.