08172017Headline:

Dallas, Texas

HomeTexasDallas

Email RLF Staff RLF Staff on LinkedIn RLF Staff on Twitter RLF Staff on Facebook
RLF Staff
RLF Staff
Contributor •

Fatality linked to Salmonella from Peanut Butter

Comments Off

Barkay died of a bacterial infection in the hospital. Barkay and her husband, William, had purchased a jar of Peter Pan peanut butter in November. The jar in question was part of the batch recalled by ConAgra earlier this month. No one in the family had connected their illnesses to the peanut butter until the salmonella-contamination story broke last week.

A law suit has been filed against ConAgra Foods by the family of Roberta Barkay, 76, from Pennsylvania who died last month. The suit claims Barkay’s death was the result of salmonella poisoning from contaminated Peter Pan peanut butter manufactured by ConAgra Foods.

Barkay died of a bacterial infection in the hospital. The couple’s daughter also became ill after eating the same peanut butter while at home attending her mother’s funeral.

Barkay and her husband, William, had purchased a jar of Peter Pan peanut butter in November. The jar in question was part of the batch recalled by ConAgra earlier this month. No one in the family had connected their illnesses to the peanut butter until the salmonella-contamination story broke last week.

About 300 cases of food-borne illness have been linked to the peanut butter, marketed under the brands Peter Pan and Great Value. The affected jars of both brands have product codes that begin with the number 2111.

Anyone who suspects salmonella poisoning should get checked out by a doctor to verify the illness and receive treatment.