The family of an 18 year old recently inducted new fraternity member sued the fraternity and some its active members in a Texa court house early this morning. The new member died from alcohol poisoning during a party at an off campus frat house at the University of Texas at Austin.
Khongsavay and Soukha Phoummarath, parents of Phanta “Jack” Phoummarath, named Lambda Phi Epsilon national Fraternity, Inc. and the its local affiliate charter in Austin as defendants in the lawsuit together with several of the actives. In the suit, the parents claim that the fraternity members encouraged the pledge to drinks large amounts of
alcohol but failed to get him medical attention after he passed out.
Reports from the capital city in Texas state that the Bayardo”s blood alcohol level may have been as high as .50, more than 6 times the legal limit.
The incident happened just several weeks prior to the holidays and it has only been about 7 weeks since since the death. According to the parents’ attorney, the suit was filed to garner the attention of those responsible and to call attention to the illegal drinking on campuses arcross the country.
The party at the frat house was thrown to welcome the new member to the frat. Some welcome – lets get our new actives all liquored up, make them pass out, and then let’s deface their bodies with writing and scrawl with markers.
The District Attorney and others are investigating the facts.
The Legal Examiner and our Affiliate Network strive to be the place you look to for news, context, and more, wherever your life intersects with the law.
Comments for this article are closed.