Lead poisoning is a potential risk from children’s jewelry.
In March 2006 a boy in Minnesota died of lead poisoning after swallowing a metal pendant from a charm bracelet that came on a pair of shoes. This resulted in one of 14 recalls since 2004.
Current regulations state products intended for children that contain more than .06 percent lead may be recalled at the company’s expense. Currently, children’s jewelry is evaluated on both the percentage of lead considered accessible and on total lead content. A proposed rule change by the Consumer Product Safety Commission would judge products solely on total lead content.
The Legal Examiner and our Affiliate Network strive to be the place you look to for news, context, and more, wherever your life intersects with the law.